Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Lemon Coconut Muffins



I was going to make brunch the other week and wanted muffins to go along with my sausage, eggs and hashbrowns. With about 6 lemons on my counter, I wanted to use them in the muffins. I found two recipes that I wanted to combine. This is a little sweet and fantastic warm with vanilla ice cream.

Muffin Part:
2 cups flour
1/2 cup coconut and oatmeal
mix these in a small bowl and put aside

cream together:
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup margarine
3/4 cup sugar

add 1 egg and 2 tablespoons to margarine mixture
add 1 cup milk, alternating with flour mixture to margarine mixture

Bake at 375 for 18-20 min or until toothpick comes out clean.
I used all the batter for 12 muffins

While the muffins are baking, make the coconut topping:
In a saucepan dissolve 1/4 cupLset on heat for a couple minutes.
When the muffins are done, take out of pan and poke holes in the tops and spoon sauce into and on top of. It's really good if you stuff some of the coconut down inside.

If you don't have toasted coconut you can make some by spreading coconut evenly in shallow dish and baking at 425 for 10-12 minutes or until golden. You may need to toss the coconut a little.

Because this could be a breakfast or dessert, I would rate it about a 7 because they are best just out of the oven.

1 comment:

  1. Ooooo!!! These sound super yummy!! My tummy is growling now!

    ReplyDelete