Monday, October 4, 2010

Beet Bread



I was going to make beet pancakes with the beet puree from the day before but realized that I had bought bread flour and not all purpose flour at the store the other day, so I wanted to try beet bread. I found this recipe while searching on line on mysisterskitchen.wordpress.com.

I boiled my beets for a while until soft and then I let them cool, pulled the skin off (it will come off really easy if soft) and then puree them together.

This recipe calls for 1 2/3 cup beet puree. Combine it with 1/2 cup warm milk.

In a kitchenaid, or bowl ( I had a bowl), combine together:

puree,
1/3 cup warm water
an egg
1/4 cup melted butter
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon yeast
1 teaspoon pepper

let bubble together for about 20 minutes.

Add about 4 cups more flour until it turns into a big ball. I do it by feel.
Let rise for about an hour, until it doubles.
Shape into 2 round loaves and cover and let rise again, about an hour.
Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes or so.
Let cool, or slice right away if you like your bread right out of the oven.

Even though the bread is pink, you cannot taste the beets. It was really tasty. I would rate this an 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment